Illinois School Safety Conference Announces Guest Speakers and Topics
The Illinois School Safety Conference, happening April 17, will cover topics like after-action findings of school shootings and trends in adolescent drug abuse.
The Illinois School Safety Conference has announced its guest speaker line-up and topics, including the role social media plays in threat assessments and mental health issues, school bus security, and more.
This free one-day conference, sponsored by The Illinois State Board of Education, Illinois Emergency Management Agency, Facility Engineering Associates P.C., Lake Forest Elementary School District 67, Township High School District 211, Illinois School Resource Officers Association, School District 89 (Maywood, Melrose Park and Broadview), Archdiocese of Chicago Office of Catholic Schools and Proviso Area for Exceptional Children, is geared towards district and school administrators, police and fire departments, transportation directors, and anyone in charge of safety and emergency managers.
Register for the event by 4/19
Guest speakers and topics covered include:
- Mia Ray Lanheim, School Intelligence Officer, Illinois State Police, Statewide Terrorism & Intelligence Center
- Mia will discuss school and campus shootings from the past five years and review after-action findings.
- Paul Timm, PSP, Vice President, Facility Engineering Associates P.C.
- Timm’s presentation will explore today’s hot topics, including the available solutions to make schools safer that administrators are bombarded with.
- Michele Gay, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Safe and Sound Schools
- Michele will share her personal perspective on the Sandy Hook School response and recovery efforts.
- Theresa Campbell, President, Safer Schools Together
- Theresa will discuss the role social media plays in threat assessments, mental health issues and school safety.
- Rick Robertson, Lieutenant Special Operation Group, Aurora Police Department
- Lt. Robertson’s presentation will cover bus security as it pertains to student transportation.
- Bruce Talbot, Retired Police Sergeant, Police Drug Training Specialist
- Bruce will discuss current trends in adolescent drug use, including synthetic drugs, vaping and opioids.
- Pam Oliver, News Planning Editor, NBC Chicago
- Pam will conduct a mock live media interview on a school emergency incident
A panel of speakers, including a school security specialist, a police chief, a school resource officer, an FBI agent and a high school student, among others, will also be presenting.
Free continental breakfast and lunch will be served and vendors with the latest safety products dedicated to school safety and security will be on-site. CPDU/CEUs paperwork will also be provided.
Wednesday, April 17, 2019
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Monty’s Elegant Banquet Hall
703 S. York Road
Bensenville, Ill., 60106
Registration link: https://www.feapc.com/2019-school-safety-conference/
Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription
Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!