Last Chance to Submit Your Director of the Year Nominations
Campus Safety magazine is now accepting nominations for the 2011 Campus Safety Director of the Year program. Nominations are due Nov. 1.
If you know a hospital, university or school campus police chief, director of public safety and security, or emergency manager who goes above and beyond the call of duty, demonstrating outstanding leadership skills, ingenuity, selflessness and overall achievement, we encourage you to submit his or her (or your) nomination.
Now in its sixth year, the CS Director of the Year program highlights the achievements of campus public safety executives in North America.
Last year’s winner, California State University, San Bernardino Chief of Police Jimmie Brown, cut crime on campus and consolidated dispatch services to grab the top prize.
Turning the campus parking deck into a business structure unit helped David Dougherty, director of security services for Canton, Ohio-based Aultman Hospital earn the healthcare award in 2009. The revenue generated from that venture paid for maintenance, lighting upgrades and the installation of video surveillance equipment.
Michael Parks, director of campus security for Minnesota State University, Moorhead, the 2009 education winner, also had impressive accomplishments. During the Red River flood of 2009, he served as campus incident commander in which he managed 25,000 volunteers, the call center, delivery of 40,000 pounds of food and arranged four housing during the emergency.
How to Win
Following these four steps will ensure your nomination has the best chance of getting the judges’ attention:
- Clearly describe in a reasonable amount of detail the accomplishments of your nominee
- Provide specific examples that demonstrate his or her achievements
- Whenever possible, provide quantifiable data as to why your nominee deserves to win
- Get your materials in on time, including recommendations from other administrators and employees
The award winner will receive:
Special editorial coverage and photos in a future issue of Campus Safety magazine
Recognition in the campus safety and security community
A $100 American Express gift certicate
- A custom plaque
Additional information that will help you prepare your 2011 can be found at the Campus Safety Director of the Year Web page.
Good luck to all of our nominees. May the best director win!
- 2010 Winner CSUSB Chief of Police Jimmie Brown: Success Beyond the Stats
- 2010 Director of the Year Finalists
- 2009 Winners: Dougherty, Parks Win Campus Safety Director of the Year Awards
- 2009 Education Sector Winner: Disaster Response Done Right
- 2009 Healthcare Sector Winner: Doing Double Duty and Loving It
- You’ve Earned Some Extra Credit
- 2009 Director of the Year Finalists
- LifeBridge Health’s Million Dollar Parking Makeover
- Wise Money Management Keeps UC Davis PD in the Black
- Announcing the Contenders
- Award Winning Turnarounds
- The Elite 8: CS Director of the Year Finalists Revealed
- Ms. Stafford Goes to Washington
- Here’s to You Mr. Robinson
Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription
Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!