25 Security Technologies to Watch
Security industry experts reveal their top 25 access control, video surveillance, fire/life-safety, intrusion detection and other security technologies of 2014.
Photos and VideosView Slideshow
Love new security technology? We do too. That’s why some 10 years ago Security Sales & Integration, CS’ sister publication, launched its annual Top Technology Innovations list, which has gained increasing notoriety among both manufacturers and security professionals each passing year. What makes this compilation so unique, meaningful and fun is that it focuses on actual technologies and associated endeavors rather than merely products, and there is no entry process but rather SSI‘s technical authorities objectively survey the security landscape throughout the year and pick their favorites from among hundreds of candidates.
No one among SSI‘s veteran staff is better suited to lead this selection process than longtime columnists Paul Boucherle and Bob Dolph. Both are lifelong, savvy security business and technology experts who have their fingers firmly planted on the pulse of the industry. You’re bound to find something in this year’s Top 25 picks that scratches you where you itch. Although each manufacturer is permitted but a single placement, the 2014 roster spans nearly as many technology categories as total entries.
Among the inclusions in addition to those representative of the familiar realms of access control, fire/life-safety, intrusion detection and video surveillance are: smart power supplies; video and business analytics; robotics; switches and infrastructure devices; emergency communications; testing and diagnostics equipment; mobile connectivity solutions; biometrics; Near-Field Communications (NFC); wireless panels; social media apps; and even a cybersecurity program.
Like any such compilation, the Top 30 is ultimately subjective and as such lends itself to amicable discourse. With that, SSI presents 2014’s Top 30 Technology Innovations.
Paul Boucherle’s Picks
- 3xLogic VMS & Data Analytics
- Arecont Multisensor Megapixel Camera
- DSC Hybrid Alarm Communications
- Exacq VMS Upgrade
- Frontier Security Management Upgrade
- Geofeedia Social Media Monitor
- IDenticard Rack/Server Protection
- Linear/Digital Watchdog Access-Video System
- Pelco Fortified Camera Enclosures
- SRI-Sarnoff Iris Biometrics
- VideoInsight Access Control Module
- Vievu Body-Worn Camera
- ZKAccess Facial Recognition
Bob Dolph’s Picks
- Allegion NFC Access Control
- Fluke Connectivity Tester
- LifeSafety Power Management System
- Magal SÂ³ Video Robot
- NICE Suspect Search
- Phybridge Ethernet Over Coax Switch
- SecurityTronix Coax-Based HD Video
- Smartvue Cloud Video Platform
- Sonavation Fingerprint Reader
- Viking Electronics Emergency Phones
- Xandem Motion Detection
- Xstream Self-Cleaning Dome
What were your favorite security technologies in 2014? Leave your comments below!