U.S. DOJ Announces COPS School Security Grant Winners
Nearly $50 million in school safety funding was awarded through its School Violence Prevention Program.
WASHINGTON – The Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS Office) has announced nearly $50 million in school safety funding through its School Violence Prevention Program (SVPP). SVPP provides up to 75% funding for school safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools and school grounds.
The Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing School Violence Act of 2018 (STOP School Violence Act of 2018) gave the COPS Office authority to provide awards directly to states, units of local government, Indian tribes, and public agencies (such as school districts and law enforcement agencies) to improve security at schools and on school grounds in the jurisdiction of the grantee through evidence-based school safety programs. The 160 awards can be used for coordination with law enforcement; training for local law enforcement officers to prevent student violence; metal detectors, locks, lighting, and other deterrent measures; technology for expedited notification of local law enforcement during an emergency; and other measures that provide a significant improvement in security.
The districts that were awarded the largest amounts — $500,000 each — are:
- Santa Ana Unified School District Police Dept. (CA)
- Glendora Unified School District (CA)
- Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (CA)
- Fullerton School District (CA)
- Town of Oxford (CT)
- Washington County School District (FL)
- City of Americus (GA)
- Mitchell County Board of Education (GA)
- Illinois School District U-46 (IL)
- Muncie Community Schools (IN)
- MSD of Lawrence Township (IN)
- Jefferson County Board of Education (KY)
- Brockton Public Schools (MA)
- Holmes County Consolidated School District (MS)
- Western Line School District (MS)
- Pearl River County School District (MS)
- Haddonfield Public Schools (NJ)
- Lovington Municipal Schools (NM)
- Clark County School District Police Department (NV)
- Wichita Falls Independent School District (TX)
- Eagle Mountain – Saginaw ISD (TX)
- Provo City School District (UT)
- Nebo School District (UT)
- Alexandria City Public Schools (VA)
- Chesterfield County Public Schools (VA)
- Stoughton Area School District (WI)
The full list of SVPP awards can be found here.
If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century
This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!