Officer’s Weapon Accidentally Discharges on School Bus
WINCHESTER, Va. – The Winchester Police Department is taking a close look at its officers’ weapons holsters after an officer’s gun accidentally went off in a special needs school bus.
The incident occurred Monday morning when a middle school student reached for a police officer’s gun, reports TV3Winchester.com. Fortunately, no one was injured.
The officer had been dispatched to the bus to calm down the student. While the officer was sitting next to him, the student reached over and put his finger on the trigger of the weapon. The bullet went through the seat and hit the floor.
- Responding to Abusive Patient Behavior: 10 Ways to Defuse Incidents
- Responding to Abusive Patient Behavior: 3 Pitfalls to Avoid When Training Staff
- Responding to Abusive Patient Behavior: Reducing the Risks of Restraints
- How to Manage Students With Behavioral Issues
- 8 Verbal Indicators of Violence
- How to Identify Nonverbal Indicators of Violence
If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century
This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!