Nurse’s Aides Have Most Violent Job in Wash. State
SEATTLE — The most violent job in Washington state is working as a nurse’s aide, according to a public radio station’s investigative series on workplace safety.
Workers at psychiatric hospitals are assaulted on the job more often than any other worker, The Seattle Times reports. They are assaulted 60 times more than the average worker in Washington state.
There were 313 assaults at Western State Hospital last year, according to James Robinson, a union president. Union officials also noted that many incidents go unreported because of the time it takes to fill out paperwork.
- Responding to Abusive Patient Behavior (Part I of III): 3 Pitfalls to Avoid When Training Staff
- Lawmakers Look to Stem Spike in Attacks at Mental Hospitals
- Mental Health Workers Feel Unsafe on the Job
- Police Blogger Questions Inmate Escort Policy
- 6 Common Errors Hospitals, Police Make When Managing Prisoners
Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription
Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!