Marquette U. Faces Clery Act Investigation
MILWAUKEE — Marquette University is under federal investigation by the U.S. Department of Education for its response to sexual assault allegations made against several athletes last school year.
The department will investigate whether or not the university violated the Clery Act, the Chicago Tribune reports. Five athletes were accused of sexual misconduct by three female students last year. The university did not report the allegations to Milwaukee police.
Two of the victims told the news story that campus security officers discouraged them from going to police.
- Marquette U. Changes Sex Assault Reporting Practices
- Police Investigate 4 Student Athletes in Sexual Assault Case
- Sexual Assault Prevention Education: Getting the Message Through to Students
- Clery Reporting: Whose Job Is It Anyway?
- Campus Sexual Assaults: How Community Policing Can Make a Difference
Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription
Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!