Update: The suspected gunman has been identified as 17-year-old T.J. Lane, and the student who died as a result of today’s shooting has been identified as Daniel Parmertor, reports CBS News.
CHARDON, Ohio — Five students were shot at Chardon High School the morning of Feb. 27. CNN is reporting that one of the victims has died. The gunman has been taken into custody.
The shooter, a male student, had already fled from the campus before police arrived, the Associated Press reports. He was apprehended “some distance from the school” where he reportedly turned himself in to bystanders.
News agencies reprt the gunman opened fire just before 8 a.m. as students were eating their breakfasts in the cafeteria. A teacher then chased the suspect from the scene of the crime.
Some of the wounded students were airlifted to local hospitals.
- Podcast: How to Respond to Active Shooters
- Community Partnerships Improve Active Shooter Response
- Your Physical Access Control Cheat Sheet
- How UC Davis and WNCC Prepare for Campus Shootings
- How UT Austin Keeps Parents Informed About Incidents
- Your Campus Emergency Notification Check-List