10 Common Dorm Security Challenges and Their Solutions
Training, policies, procedures and technology can all help.
Protecting on-campus residences is no easy task and requires the training of staff and students, appropriate policies and procedures, and the deployment of technology.
Here are some specific ways you can address your dorm security issues.
Challenge 1: Finding creative ways to effectively educate students to recognize and report other students of concern (for violent behavior or suicide) and crime prevention in general (mandatory floor meetings do not work anymore).
- Documented security educational program for students, faculty and staff
- Multimedia, repetitive messaging
- One-on-one interaction between resident assistants and students to develop a closer personal relationship
Challenge 2: Establishing a security program that is predicated on prevention versus police response after an incident.
- Conducting a security assessment to identify the baseline threats associated with a college or university residence life program so that preventive measures can be implemented to reduce the risk.
Challenge 3: Assuring that appropriate protective and emergency planning services are provided by departments outside of residence life control.
- Establishing a design-basis threat for the residence halls and apartments
- Regular meetings and liaison with campus public safety and emergency response resources to communicate needs of residence life
Add Another Layer of Protection to your Campus
If you’re responsible for protecting a campus — whether at a hospital, K-12 school, college or university — then Campus Safety magazine is a must-read, and it’s free! As the only publication devoted to those public safety, security and emergency management personnel, issues cover all aspects of safety measures, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification, and security staff practices.
Take advantage of a free subscription to Campus Safety today, and add its practical insights, product updates and know-how to your toolkit. Subscribe today!