Student Suffers Injuries from Chemical Explosion at Northwestern


A Northwestern graduate student was taken to the hospital as a result of a chemical explosion at the Technological Institute, a landmark building at Northwestern University on Jan. 31.

The Daily Northwestern reports that the male student was mixing methanol and diacetoxyiodo benzene in a flask when the flask burst and ejected pieces of glass across the room and on the floor.

The student immediately washed off in an emergency shower in the hallway after the incident.

He suffered cuts on his right arm and a cut and bruise on his chest where he was struck by flying glass. At Evanston Hospital, it was determined that the student did not have any chemical burns.

Police closed down the K-wing of the third floor of the building and contacted the professor in charge of the lab.

For additional information, click here.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Tagged with: Fire Safety

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo