Boy Chokes to Death During School Lunch Period

NEW YORK — A nine-year-old boy died Dec. 5 after choking on a meatball during his lunch period at Public School 47.

Jonathan Jewth, a fourth-grader, choked at 12:15 p.m. but a call to 9-1-1 was not placed until 12:29 p.m., New York Daily News reports. Jewth’s mother believes if EMS had received a call sooner, her son’s life could have been saved.

The official Department of Education records state that a parent and then an assistant principal performed the Heimlich maneuver on Jewth before he became unconscious.

Read the full story.

Related Articles:

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo