2 Students Perish in Apartment Fire, No Smoke Detectors Found

FROSTBURG, Md. – No smoke detectors were found in an apartment building that burned down on Dec. 3, killing two Frostburg State University students. Alyssa Salazar, 20, and Evan Kullberg, 23, were in a second floor apartment when a fire broke out on the floor below them.

The fire started in a metal flue pipe from a woodstove in a common area, Firehouse.com reports. Salazar and Kullberg both died of smoke inhalation after Salazar called 911 twice, begging for help. Ten other building occupants managed to escape.

Ed Comeau, publisher of Campus Firewatch, told the news source that 142 college students have perished in fire-related incidents in Maryland since 2000. He said that in most of these situations, the structures lacked smoke detectors and sprinklers. 

Read the full story.

Related Articles:

Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription

Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!

Get your free subscription today!

Subscribe Today!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference Registration Open Promo Campus Safety HQ