Crisis in the Classroom
This FREE Campus Safety Educational Series webcast is designed to provide teachers, administrators and other school staff members with an understanding of the dynamics involved when interacting with a person in crisis.
In the past several years school personnel have found themselves trapped in a classroom with a student in crisis, threatening violence and taking everyone hostage. We have even seen incidents where an enraged or unbalanced parent/ guardian in crisis has entered a school and taken staff hostage. They survived by their wits and luck; this is not enough, our school teachers, administrators and other staff members must be trained to respond to a person in this kind of crisis.
This Campus Safety Educational Series webcast “Crisis in the Classroom” is designed to provide teachers, administrators and other school staff members with an understanding of the dynamics involved when interacting with a person in crisis. Using many of the techniques associated with hostage crisis negotiating, the program provides the student with practical skills that can be used to recognize a crisis situation as it develops and then de-escalate a dangerous situation.
During this webinar, you will learn how to teach your students and staff:
- How to differentiate between a person having a bad day and a person in crisis.
- How to recognize the signs of a person in crisis and how to talk to them.
- How to understand the role of suicidal thoughts or actions in a crisissituation.
- How to understand the meaning of, and potential danger found in a “Kill List”
- How to understand that “Words mean things”-deciphering hidden meanings from the words people in crisis use.
- How to track your progress during a crisis encounter to understand how to bring the situation to a successful ending using the “Behavioral Change Stairway”.
- How to end a potentially dangerous situation.
Join Zach Winn, Sr. Web Editor at Campus Safety and Joseph Pangaro, owner of Pangaro Training and Management for this live online event!
Meet the Presenter
Joseph Pangaro is the owner of Pangaro Training and Management and the “Director of Training” for the A Plus Technology Solutions company of Long IslandNY where he provides training programs, threat assessments and security consulting for Schools, Businesses and the Law Enforcement community. Mr. Pangaro is a retired police executive, having served his community for 27 years in various capacities, including: patrol, detective bureau, and administration. He is an FBI trained Hostage /Crisis negotiator and currently the Director of School Security for a large school district in Central New Jersey.