HID Location Services Streamlines Social Distancing, Contact Tracing
The new HID Location Services for Workplace Safety alerts employees when they are closer than six feet apart for a specified amount of time.
AUSTIN, Texas — HID Global, an identity solutions provider, announces new additions to its HID Location Services IoT ecosystem that are said to simplify and automates the management of employee social distancing and conduct contact tracing, and drive compliance to federal, state and local requirements to help prevent workplace exposure to COVID-19.
The new HID Location Services for Workplace Safety physical distancing application leverages Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) HID BEEKS Aware fobs that alert employees when they are closer than 6 feet (2 meters) for a specified period of time.
The new contact tracing application uses the same HID BEEKS Aware fob or a BEEKS badge/badge holder that can be added to existing ID cards, providing a full digital trail of an employee’s whereabouts and historical interactions while at work.
HID says this makes it possible to rapidly respond to cases and activate isolation procedures as needed.
The physical distancing application is currently being piloted and adopted by major healthcare institutions and enterprise organizations worldwide, including at HID’s North American headquarters and manufacturing facility based here.
“Digitally managing social distancing is critical to encouraging the necessary behavioral shifts that will create a safer and more secure environment to which employees feel comfortable returning to work,” says Mark Robinton, vice president of IoT services, identification technologies with HID Global. “Our goal with HID Location Services for Workplace Safety is to use our established IoT ecosystem to help organizations restore productivity with confidence by making it easier for everyone to adjust to workplace physical distancing and taking the manual leg-work out of contact tracing.”
Here’s how HID says the solution works:
- Employers define distancing policies and alert parameters; zones can be created with geo-fences around high-traffic areas (breakrooms, hallways, lobbies) to minimize large congregations of people.
- HID BEEKS Aware BLE fobs are issued to employees, visitors and contractors to carry while at work. Using peer-to-peer capabilities, the fob will flash and sound a brief audible alert when employees are within 6 feet (2 meters) for more than 2 minutes (or as configured by administrator).
- With a click of a button, detailed reporting enables contact tracing using historical data on movement and interactions in order to trigger safety protocols.
- For standalone contact tracing, employers can couple the functionality with existing employee ID badges.
- When it comes to getting up and running, no integration is needed. All that is needed is HID BEEKS devices, HID Bluzone Cloud Software, and HID BluFi/ other gateways.
The solution uses existing enterprise networks or Bluetooth over WiFi network connectivity and Cloud services — no additional infrastructure, hardware or network wiring needed.
Workplaces receive immediate access to real-time analytics that include location data such as interaction type and contact duration, including start and end times.
For more information, visit hidglobal.com.