Study Predicts Stronger, More Frequent Hurricanes
A recently released report predicts that by the end of the century, tropical cyclones will occur more often and become more powerful due to climate change.
The areas that will most likely be affected include the U.S. East Coast and Gulf Coast, as well as in the western North Pacific, reports Time. One researcher estimates the frequency of hurricanes will increase 10% to 40% by 2100, with their intensity increasing by 45%. The likelihood of them making landfall is estimated to increase by 55%.
The prevailing opinion among most scientists, however, is that tropical storms will probably become more powerful and rainier but they will also become less common.
- Photos of Hurricane Sandy’s Impact on NYC’s School Buses
- Will Your Generator Hold Up During an Emergency?
- Joplin’s Mercy Hospital Rises from the Rubble
If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century
This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!