Roanoke College Experiences Second Gas Leak In As Many Months

SALEM, Va. – Two months after an elderly Lutheran pastor was killed and 62 people were sent to the hospital by a carbon monoxide leak in the Sections dorm building at Roanoke College, a similar leak was discovered at a fraternity house on Sept. 16.

A partially obstructed flue pipe in the boiler system caused carbon monoxide to leak into the house in amounts as high as 400 parts per million, said Lt. John Prillaman of the Salem Fire Department. Luckily, the newly installed carbon monoxide alarm alerted the residents to the leak. While an hour of exposure would only cause headaches, prolonged exposure could lead to death.

The building was ventilated with the use of fans, and by Saturday night, residents returned to the house.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety HQ