Propane Tank Causes Explosion at Washington University

ST. LOUIS – Washington University’s Wohl Center experienced an explosion Oct. 12.

Fifty students were in the student center when the explosion occurred at 7:30 p.m., which blew windows out. Fire trucks immediately raced to the campus.

One of the propane tanks used to heat food in catering tins had a defect, which started a fire and a powerful blast of air that caused the windows to blow out.

Students say they heard the explosion from their dorm rooms and other buildings.

There were no injuries.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo