Michigan Fraternity House Catches Fire, Nearby Apartments Evacuated

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Delta Upsilon fraternity house at the University of Michigan’s Central Campus caught on fire May 30, causing neighboring apartment buildings to be evacuated due to the heavy smoke. The house was destroyed, although there were no injuries.

According to news reports, five people were living in the two-and-a-half story historical landmark house; however, it is not clear whether or not the residents were in the house when the fire began. Authorities have reported that all residents have been accounted for and are safe. One fraternity member said the house was undergoing construction on the inside.

Firefighters say the fire was at the center of the house.

For more information:

Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription

Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!

Get your free subscription today!


Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety ConferenceCampus Safety HQ