Mental Patient Sets Self on Fire Outside Canadian Hospital

LONDON, Ontario, Canada—A man swallowed up in flames died outside of St. Joseph’s Regional Mental Health Care Hospital.

A group of teens, who were practicing soccer at a nearby field, noticed the man and intended to douse the flames with their water bottles on July 27, reports the Toronto Sun. However, as the group approached the man, they noticed he was dead.

Two hospital security guards put out the fire with the teens’ water bottles and fire extinguishers from their vehicles.

The man, whose name has not been released, set himself on fire, according to London Free Press. It is not known whether or not the man was a voluntary or involuntary patient at the facility.

Read the full article.


If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo