LAUSD Settles 58 Miramonte Elementary Sex Abuse Claims
LOS ANGELES — Officials at the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) have agreed to pay a double-digit multimillion-dollar settlement stemming from alleged lewd acts by a former Miramonte Elementary School teacher.
The deal will cover 58 of the 191 claims and lawsuits filed against the district after authorities arrested former third-grade teacher Mark Berndt on 23 counts of lewd behavior, the Associated Press reports.
The exact amount of the settlement is unknown.
- Police: Former Teacher Blindfolded, Photographed 23 Students
- LAUSD to Alert Parents to Teacher Misconduct Within 72 Hours
- LAUSD Eases Termination Rules in Sexual Misconduct Cases
- Child Sexual Predators Target the Poor, Illegal Immigrants
- Child Sexual Abuse: It’s More Prevalent Than You Think
- Number of Misconduct Reports in LAUSD Schools Reaches 5
- Vetting Campus Staff & Volunteers Who Work With Children
If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century
This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!