Investigation Shows Faulty Warmer Sparked Fire in Infant’s Bassinet

MINNEAPOLIS

A yearlong investigation at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids, Minn., found hospital staff not at fault for a fire that severely burned an infant. Instead, faulty equipment was to blame when the newborn’s bassinet erupted in flames due to a defect in his warmer.

Investigators recommended the device and similar models be removed from service; however, the manufacturer disagreed. Nearly 4,000 units of the same or similar design were sold before being discontinued in the late 1990s.

A lawsuit has not been filed in the case and the infant’s medical bills have been covered by insurance.

For additional information, click here.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo