Girl Sustains 3rd Degree Burns in Hospital Room

PORTLAND, Ore. — A 11-year-old patient at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, who was hospitalized with a head injury, mysteriously caught on fire inside her hospital room.

Ireland Lane, a cancer survivor, had been painting a wooden box in her room as gift for her nurses, when her T-shirt suddenly burst aflame, ABC News reports. She is now recovering from third-degree burns.

Before she started painting, Ireland had cleaned a table that rolled over her bed with alcohol-based sanitizer. Investigators are looking into whether the sanitizer and static electricity sparked the fire.

Read the full story.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety HQ