Cornell Student Killed in House Fire

Published: May 8, 2011

ITHACA, N.Y. — A Cornell University student died in a fire that burned uncontrolled for three hours on May 6. The fire started in a building that housed 13 Cornell students in eight apartments and appears to have been caused by an unattended stove.

Brian Lo, a student in the School of Hotel Administration, appeared to have been trying to escape when he was killed, The Cornell Daily Sun reports. An autopsy was scheduled to be performed on May 7.

The building was equipped with a fire alarm system that was inspected in January. The fire department is investigating whether the system worked correctly.

As the fire seems to be accidental, no charges are expected to be filed, according to Deputy Fire Chief Tom Parsons.

——Article Continues Below——

Get the latest industry news and research delivered directly to your inbox.

Read the full story.

Related Articles:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Strategy & Planning Series
Strategy & Planning Series
Strategy & Planning Series
Strategy & Planning Series
Strategy & Planning Series