Cornell Student Killed in House Fire

ITHACA, N.Y. — A Cornell University student died in a fire that burned uncontrolled for three hours on May 6. The fire started in a building that housed 13 Cornell students in eight apartments and appears to have been caused by an unattended stove.

Brian Lo, a student in the School of Hotel Administration, appeared to have been trying to escape when he was killed, The Cornell Daily Sun reports. An autopsy was scheduled to be performed on May 7.

The building was equipped with a fire alarm system that was inspected in January. The fire department is investigating whether the system worked correctly.

As the fire seems to be accidental, no charges are expected to be filed, according to Deputy Fire Chief Tom Parsons.

Read the full story.

Related Articles:

Read More Articles Like This… With A FREE Subscription

Campus Safety magazine is another great resource for public safety, security and emergency management professionals. It covers all aspects of campus safety, including access control, video surveillance, mass notification and security staff practices. Whether you work in K-12, higher ed, a hospital or corporation, Campus Safety magazine is here to help you do your job better!

Get your free subscription today!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Online SummitCampus Safety HQ