Cigarette Sparks Fire in U of Nebraska Dormitory

OMAHA, Neb. – A fire started by a discarded cigarette at one of the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s (UNO) residence halls displaced 42 students and destroyed their belongings.

The two-alarm fire occurred on Feb. 27 around 3:15 p.m., in Building G in the university’s Scott Village dorms. The blaze spread quickly due to high winds, As a result of the fire, the dormitory’s roof collapsed. Additionally, a firefighter injured his leg while trying to stop the blaze, Omaha.com reports.

UNO residents are not allowed to smoke inside their suites, on balconies or on patios; however, smoking is permitted 10 feet away from each building.

The university is currently working to replaced necessities that students lost, and professors have given victims extensions on their assignments.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Tagged with: Fire Safety

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo