Canadian Email Threat Affects 61 Schools

The emails were sent to administrators at primary schools, secondary schools and some junior colleges.

An email threatening dozens of schools in Quebec forced local authorities to conduct bomb sweeps and increase police presence in several parts of the province Nov. 3.

Quebec’s acting public security minister said a single email was sent to 61 institutions, including primary schools, secondary schools and some junior colleges, according to ctvnews.ca.

The email said bombs would be planted over the course of the week until Nov. 6, although police searches have turned up nothing so far. Quebec Provincial Police have cleared 53 schools and continue to investigate the emails.

RELATED: Ohio Schools Face Rise in Bomb Threats, Criticism for Response Plans

Many schools closed down after receiving the threat and some shut down for the day.

The emails, which were written by a group calling themselves “Red Sceptre”, criticized teachers and their union and complained about the quality of education. The government and teachers’ unions are currently in the middle of labor negotiations.

The Toronto District School Board also received a bomb threat, but no schools were locked down or evacuated.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo