Campus Safety Study: Budgets, Staffing are Top Concerns for Healthcare, Education Police and

LOS ANGELES

According to part 2 of Campus Safety magazine’s annual industry census and salary survey, “budgets and the availability of resources” and “appropriate staffing levels” are the two top challenges facing healthcare and educational campus security professionals today. 

Nearly seven out of 10 (69 percent) K-12 school stakeholders who took the survey, 60 of university respondents and 53 percent of hospital survey participants listed funding and resources as one of their top five campus security concerns. Fifty-eight percent of hospital respondents, 52 percent of universities and 61 percent of schools said staffing levels are one of their top five concerns.

Third on the list for hospitals and K-12 schools was “administration apathy or naïveté regarding campus safety and security.” For university survey participants, however, the third most mentioned top concern was “emergency preparedness.”

Additional topics covered in part 2 include the longevity of hospital, school and university security directors and police chiefs; the sizes of their campuses; job satisfaction; department size; demographics; and weapons status.

Highlights of the study include:

  • Nearly nine out of 10 respondents indicate their job satisfaction level is “Good,” if not “Excellent.”
  • The median percentage of hospital, school and university campus law enforcement/security department employees who are female is 15
  • The median percentage of campus law enforcement/security department employees who are minorities is 16
  • Nearly half (49 percent) of all respondents have worked 16 or more years in campus police/security

Part 2 of this study, can be found in the January/February issue of Campus Safety magazine or at Industry Census: See Where You Stand.

Part 1 of the study’s results, which includes a comparison of officer incentives and salaries, can be found in the November/December issue of Campus Safety magazine or at Survey Results: Top Cop Pay Falling Behind.

K-12 and university law enforcement and security officials are also encouraged to take the magazine’s Columbine 10-year anniversary survey. The poll will take no more than 10 minutes to complete. All answers and identifying information will remain confidential and will only be used in tabulation with other responses. The results of this poll will appear in the March/April 2009 issue of Campus Safety magazine.

To take the survey, visit www.campussafetymagazine.com/Columbine.

About the Campus Safety Salary Study and Industry Census: An online questionnaire was E-mailed to subscribers in July and August of 2008. Additionally, the survey was posted on Campus Safety’s Web site (www.campussafetymagazine.com) during that same time period, and subscribers were encouraged to take the survey online. Thirty percent of respondents indicated their campuses are located in the Midwest; 28 percent in the Northeast, 24 percent in the South and 19 percent in the West. Of the 772 individuals who took the survey, 74 percent said they work for educational campuses; 23 percent work for hospitals; 2 percent work for medical colleges/universities with hospitals; and 1 percent indicated “other.” Note: Chart percentages may not total 100 percent due to rounding. The margin of error is + or – 3 percent at a 95 percent confidence level.

About Campus Safety Magazine: Campus Safety magazine exclusively serves police chiefs, security directors, IT personnel, executive administrators and other community stakeholders involved in the public safety and security of U.S. hospitals, schools and universities. Campus Safety is a product of Torrance, Calif.-based business-to-business publishing company Bobit Business Media. For additional information, visit www.CampusSafetyMazagine.com.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo