88 People Sickened by Carbon Monoxide at South Buffalo Private School

BUFFALO, N.Y. – A carbon monoxide leak at the Notre Dame Academy is being blamed for sickening 88 people Nov. 13.

Nine adults and 79 students were treated for carbon monoxide exposure. One 7-year-old boy who apparently had exhibited signs of prolonged exposure to the fumes was taken to the hospital for treatment. He was released several hours later.

The leak occurred when a device on the campus’ boiler malfunctioned. It was reported at 8:15 a.m., and emergency responders were called one hour later.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide illness include nausea, headaches, respiratory troubles and eye irritation.

If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!

Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century

This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!

Get Our Newsletters
Campus Safety Conference promo