405K Patient Records Possibly Compromised at Texas Hospital
BRYAN, Texas — A security breach at St. Joseph Health System has affected the records of up to 405,000 current and past patients, employees and employees’ beneficiaries.
Hospital officials believe the breach occurred between Dec. 16 and 18 when one of its computer servers was hacked, InformationWeek.com reports.
An investigation conducted by national security and computer forensics experts suggests that hackers may have gained access to records including, names, Social Security numbers and dates of births. Investigators are also concerned that attackers may have access to patients’ medical data and bank account information for employees.
St. Joseph has offered free credit and identity protection services to affected individuals.
- Cottage Health Systems Sued for Allegedly Posting 32K Patient Records Online
- Cyber Security Breaches Cost Hospitals $1.6B Annually
- Cyber Attacks to Reach New Heights in 2014
- Employees Fired for Large Hospital Security Breach
- Security Breaches Affect 27% of Healthcare Organizations
- Data Breach Prevention: 13 Best Practices You Should Implement
- Gaps In Hospital Security Policies Put Patient Data At Risk