Campus Safety Announces 2016 Director of the Year Finalists
Check out the 11 healthcare, school and university public safety, security and emergency management pros who made the cut, as well as some of their notable achievements.
Congratulations to the finalists in the 10th Annual Campus Safety Director of the Year awards program! The winners and runners up will be honored at the Campus Safety Conference in Philadelphia this summer. Complete coverage of the winners will appear this fall in Campus Safety magazine as well as on CampusSafetyMagazine.com.
The finalists and some of their notable achievements are:
Assistant Vice President of Public Safety & Chief of Police
Point Park University
- Oversaw the creation of the school’s Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Confront and Evacuate training institute
- Supervised the upgrade of a university-wide security camera system
- Established SafeZone, which provides training to faculty staff and students on becoming allies to the LGBTQ community
California State University, Fullerton
- Created a cross-divisional Clery compliance team with members from student affairs, housing and residence life, HR, diversity and inclusion, counsel, academic affairs, administration and finance
- Oversees more than 300 security cameras strategically placed around campus
- Placed a police substation in the on-campus housing complex
Director of Public Safety
University of Mobile
- Developed a new online vehicle parking system that created $40,000 in revenue for the university and reduced annual student costs from $60 to $40
- Increased officer pay from $8 to $9 per hour
- Developed a verbal memo of understanding that reduced local police response times from 45 minutes to 15 minutes per call
Chief of Public Safety
- Brought advances in technologies, programming, communications, training and mutual aid to the campus
- Partnered with peers in private and public colleges to craft new training and readiness programming
- Was president of the California College and University Police Chiefs’ Association and International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators
Chief of Police
Buffalo State College
- Created the university police department bike patrol
- Department achieved New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services Police Department accreditation
- Over the years has personally assisted numerous students, faculty and staff in crises, earning him more than 15 awards, including four New York State University Police, SUNY Police Chiefs Association Professionalism Awards
If you appreciated this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!
Leading in Turbulent Times: Effective Campus Public Safety Leadership for the 21st Century
This new webcast will discuss how campus public safety leaders can effectively incorporate Clery Act, Title IX, customer service, “helicopter” parents, emergency notification, town-gown relationships, brand management, Greek Life, student recruitment, faculty, and more into their roles and develop the necessary skills to successfully lead their departments. Register today to attend this free webcast!