Conducting a Security and Vulnerability Assessment For Your District or Campus
This webinar will show you how to conduct a Security and Vulnerability Assessment with the help of your First Responders and free tools from the US Department of Education and other government agencies at little or no cost.
According to the US Department of Education, a Security and Vulnerability Assessment (SVA) is the ongoing process through which school districts and campuses identify and evaluate potential risks, and areas of weakness, capable of adversely impacting the campus or school system. Conducting an SVA will allow you to find areas of liabilities you did not know existed, develop strategies for prevention and mitigation, as well as create plans, ways to respond, and how to recover from manmade or natural events. While an SVA can be conducted by an outside consultant, this webinar will show you how to conduct a Security and Vulnerability Assessment with the help of your First Responders and free tools from the US Department of Education and other government agencies at little or no cost.
Participants attending the webinar will:
- Learn where to access free tools and checklists to conduct a Security and Vulnerability Assessment for their district or campus.
- Be able to differentiate between a Security and Vulnerability Assessment and a Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment(THIRA).
- Understand how working with First Responders will enhance their SVA by using the specialized training of Crime Prevention their local Law Enforcement and knowledge of Fire Codes from their local Fire Department.
- Develop the skills to conduct SVAs for their district and campus and train others in their organization to also conduct SVAs.
- Participants will receive copies of Security and Vulnerability Assessments already in use across the United States.
- Participants will learn how to access the Readiness and Emergency Management in Schools Technical Assistance (REMS TA) Site Assess took to conduct SVAs.
CEO and President, Safeguard Risk Solutions, LLC
Gary L. Sigrist, Jr., is the CEO and President of Safeguard Risk Solutions, LLC. His career spans more than 30 years as an educator, administrator and police officer. He is also a nationally known speaker, consultant, author and expert on emergency preparedness and on how to build relationships with first responders.
Gary was an educator and administrator for South-Western City Schools (SWCS) for 30 years. In 2008, he was named Project Director for Readiness and Emergency Management in Schools. SWCS is only one of a handful of school districts to win the Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Grant in 2008 and 2010, under his guidance. He secured almost $1M in funding and resources through federal and state grants for SWCS to enhance safety, security and crisis management programs, as well as implementing the district’s visitor ID system and developing its Continuity of Operations/Disaster Recovery Plan and Food Defense Plan. He also led the re-engineering of the district’s two-way radio communication system and oversaw the implementation of its Mass Notification Plan.
Gary developed the only course approved and endorsed by the State of Ohio Division of Real Estate on Realtor Safety. His work with Law Enforcement, training from New Mexico Tech and the US Department of Homeland Security, and his work with members of the Columbus (OH) Fire Department Bomb Squad lead to the current training “Bomb Threat Protocols for Schools” that is being delivered to schools across the nation.
Gary is a certified Department of Homeland Security trainer for both the Law Enforcement Active Shooter Emergency Response (LASER) and Screening of Persons through Observational Techniques (SPOT) organizations. Gary earned a Bachelor of Science degree in elementary education from Ohio University and a Master of Science degree in education administration from The University of Dayton. He also completed Ohio Peace Officers Basic Training through the Central Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy.
If you appreciated this webcast and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our FREE digital newsletters!