By CS Staff · November 13, 2011
BLOOMINGBURG, Ohio — The mother of a teenager with special needs told her daughter to secretly record the comments being made by a classroom aide. The girl recorded the aide telling her she is “dumb” and “a liar.”
Kelly Chaffins resigned after the tapes were revealed, ABC News reports. The tapes also included the teacher, Christie Wilt, ordering the student onto a treadmill. The student used the treadmill for 15 minutes before it broke and then was told to run in place. Wilt agreed to take eight hours of training about bullying and child abuse. Has also been placed on leave.
The Miami Trace Local School District paid $300,000 last month to the mother of the student to settle a lawsuit over the bullying.
- 7 Ways You Can Address Bullying at Your School
- Combating the Varieties of Violence at Work
- 11 Steps to Improve Workplace Violence Prevention Policies
- Smarter Hiring: Reducing the Insider Threat
- Understanding Children With Autism
- How to Evacuate Students With Cerebral Palsy