ANOKA, Minn. — The Anoka-Hennepin school district has repealed its Sexual Orientation Curriculum Policy, which required teachers to be “neutral” on homosexuality.
The district has experienced nine suicides and a federal lawsuit, as the policy was so confusing to teachers that they avoided any mention of homosexuality, Rolling Stone reports. This included ignoring anti-gay bullying.
According to the Southern Poverty Law Center and the National Center for Lesbian Rights, this will be the first time in 18 years that the district doesn’t have a policy singling out LGBT issues as taboo.
- Duncan Issues Title IX Guidance for LGBT, Gender Identity Issues
- Survey Finds Nearly 9 out of 10 LGBT Students Experience Harassment
- Report: 2010 LGBTQ Murders Up 23%
- ACLU Challenges School Web Filtering of LGBT Content
- Bullying and Harassment: Thin Line and Thin Ice