DALTON, Ga. — A man is recovering after he was shot in the Hamilton Medical Center parking lot when he asked a patient to borrow a cigarette lighter.
Kevin Laray Brafford was visiting a relative at the hospital when he went to the top level of the parking garage to smoke on Dec. 18, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Around the same time, a patient named Andrew Paul Desimone left his room and went to his car. When Brafford asked Desimone if he had a cigarette lighter, Desimone pulled a gun from the car and shot him.
Desimone drove away while Brafford stumbled into a stairwell. Security officers found Brafford and took him to the emergency room.
Desimone was later arrested at his home.
- Should Hospitals Be Required to Report Incidents?
- Police Blogger Questions Inmate Escort Policy
- 7 Tips For Selecting Patient Electronic Tagging Technology
- 6 Common Errors Hospitals, Police Make When Managing Prisoners
- How to Manage Healthcare Facility Visitors