By CS Staff · January 8, 2012
NEW ORLEANS — A former janitor at Ochsner Medical Center and his girlfriend pleaded guilty Jan. 5 to using stolen patient information to open online accounts and make purchases.
Clyde Washington stole printouts containing patients’ names, social security numbers, dates of birth and other personal information and gave them to his girlfriend Sherrie Blair, The Republic reports. Blair opened online accounts and ordered a 42-inch television, an $800 ring, gift cards and more.
The stolen documents contained the information of approximately 156 patients, according to prosecutors.
- How the HITECH Act May Affect Your Healthcare Facility
- Smarter Hiring: Reducing the Insider Threat
- Stemming the Tide of ID Theft at Institutions of Higher Education
- Hospital Access Control in the Palm of Employees’ Hands
- How to Create a Hospital Investigation Unit