SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. — The Southampton Hospital Emergency Department entrance was shut down on Nov. 16 after a man attempted to commit suicide by mixing chemicals in his car, which was parked at the ER entrance. Hazardous materials crews responded to the scene.
The man changed his mind about committing suicide and pulled up to the ER and walked in, said Southampton Village Police Chief Thomas Cummings, The Southampton Press reports. Both the emergency entrance and the man’s car were contaminated.
The chemicals the man mixed were sulfuric acid and muriatic acid. Based on a crime lab’s findings, the man could be charged with endangering other people.
- Building a Better Hospital Security System, 1 Phase at a Time
- Learning to Accessorize: Pacific Hospital Embraces Radio Lapel Mic
- Trend Alert: Rate of Chemical Suicides Increases in U.S.
- How Pinnacle Protects Its Emergency Department
- Hospital Security Still Flying Under the Radar