KOLKATA, India — Eighty-nine people were killed in a hospital fire Dec. 9 in eastern India.
Security officers held back several slum dwellers who came to AMRI Hospital to raise the alarm about the fire, the Associated Press reports. It took firefighters more than an hour to respond.
Fleeing medical staff abandoned patients and six administrators were arrested and charged with culpable homicide.
- Take the Campus Safety Fire Survey
- Fire Suppression Systems Protect Assets, Save Lives
- 10 Years After 9/11: Building and Fire Codes Revamped
- Most Common Fire Alarm System Problems
- HEOA Update: Fire Incident Reporting Requirements