LOS ANGELES − A gunman shot and killed two international University of Southern California (USC) students from China during what appears to be a robbery attempt on Wednesday.
Ming Qu died while running for help after being shot, the Los Angeles Times reports. Ying Wu was found dead in a BMW a few blocks from the university with one gunshot wound to the chest.
The neighborhood where the killing took place is three blocks outside of the area USC police regularly patrol. In 2011, the university added 13 security ambassadors, 72 video patrol cameras and 50 license plate recognition cameras to the patrol area.
The area where the attack occurred has seen an increase in the number of student renters in recent years.
Police suspect a lone assailant of carrying out the killings.
- USC Campus Security: Taking It to the Street
- Want to Attend a Safe College? 10 Questions You Should Ask
- The Top 7 Video Surveillance Trends to Watch in 2011
- Video Surveillance Best Practices: What Works
- Glide Cruisers for Campus Patrol