Who Is and Isn’t a Campus Security Authority
The Clery Act requires all institutions to collect crime reports from a variety of individuals and organizations that Clery considers to be campus security authorities. Here is a list of individuals whose positions meet the criteria for being campus security authorities.
Examples of individuals whose positions should be assessed because they probably meet the criteria for being campus security authorities include (this list is expanded from the list in the new ED handbook, to provide more context):
- Professional staff in a dean of students office, including leaders in student affairs and housing
- Staff in the student center or student union building
- Staff in the student activities office (handling extracurricular activities)
- Faculty or staff advisors to student organizations
- Resident assistants/advisors; resident and/or community directors
- Students who monitor access to dormitories or other facilities
- Coordinator of Greek affairs (or related positions)
- Athletic directors (ADs) and coaches (including assistant ADs and assistant coaches)
- Contract security officers
- Event security staff
- Administrators at branch/satellite/separate campuses
- A physician in a campus health center, a counselor in a campus counseling center, or a victim advocate in a campus rape crisis center if they are identified by your school as someone to whom crimes should be reported or if they have significant responsibility for student and campus activities
Examples of individuals who would not meet the criteria for being campus security authorities include:
- A faculty member who does not have any responsibility for student and campus activity beyond the classroom
- Clerical or cafeteria staff
- Facilities or maintenance staff
Dolores Stafford currently serves as president and CEO of D. Stafford & Associates, a consulting firm specializing in campus safety, security and law enforcement issues on college campuses. A new online training program for campus security authorities is available at www.dstaffordandassociates.com.
Sign up for the Newsletter
Sign up here to receive current news and industry updates delivered right to your inbox.